We needed to make gaskets for the rope pump so we used a 1/2 inch pipe (with sharped edges) to punch out small rubber “gaskets.” It was tedious (and painful) work but we took turns and cut out over 100 gaskets for the pump. Advertisements
My teammates and I arrived in South Sudan the day after a week-long vote for separation from the North. It was really cool be together with the villagers as they listened to a radio broadcasting the preliminary results – 99% for separation!
Back in Aweil-Town, I took a break in the 115 degree weather to play some soccer
We could not find any parts to make a typical piston type pump so we made a rope pump here in the village.
The sunrise during our last morning in the village
First bit of water coming out of our well!
Cyrus and I were dumping gravel between the casing (pvc pipe) and the wall of the borehole to serve as the filter material
day after day of drilling, all we pulled out was sticky clay
I was teaching the Dinka guys how important it is to keep the drill straight
Drilling on the first day